If you have a lot of music, pictures and movie on your computer but wish to view them on your brand new LED television, then the playstation 3 is a great place to start.
The playstation 3 is know to be a great device to play media, as well as play games and view Blu-Ray movie. The PS3 has also been built to play divX movie, but that’s about it.. But to view them you need to burn them out on a disc.
PS3 Media Server
The playstation 3 is known to be able to connect to the Windows Media player, and to show ps3-supported files via the computer. This will only apply to divX files, pictures and mp3/wma.
So how do we increase the use of the playstation?
The solution is the opensource application Java Upnp Media Server called “PS3 Media server” made by A. Brochard. The PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant Upnp Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. In simpler words; It is a java application installed onto your computer which connects to the Playstation 3 over Intranet (LAN) and provides it with the media that the user have chosen to be shared.
So what’s the deal?
The PS3 Media Server will be able play the content stored on your computer, and if the file you try to play is not a supported movie format (ex. quicktime MOV files), the media server will use the built-in media player called Mplayer. The Mplayer will then stream the file to the Playstation in a format which is supported and the movie will be played. It also supports disc image files stored on the computer like ISO and CUE/BIN files. You can either show the disc image as a DVD movie or browse the content that is contained in the file.
In WORST cases, if the file is not being able to be played, you are given a last resort of opportunity to recode the unsupported movie “on the fly” (while you watch). This alternative is known to have some issues as the computer trying to recode the file is not recoding fast enough.
There is also built-in a youtube feature which allows you to browse youtube clips. You also get the opportunity to listen to web radio as well as web TV. A guide on how to set this up this is found on the support forum as this is not an option that is made easy. It is recommended for the more advanced users.
The current features available on the latest release
- Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing or this kind of annoying thing. All your folders are directly browsed by the PS3, there’s an automatic refresh also.
- Real-time video transcoding of MKV/FLV/OGM/AVI, etc.
- Direct streaming of DTS / DTS-HD core to the receiver
- Remux H264/MPEG2 video and all audio tracks to AC3/DTS/LPCM in real time with tsMuxer when H264 is PS3/Level4.1 compliant
- Full seeking support when transcoding
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
- OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
- Thumbnail generation for Videos
- You can choose with a virtual folder system your audio/subtitle language on the PS3!
- Simple streaming of formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG)
- Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
- ZIP/RAR files as browsable folders
- Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
- Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
- Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
- Basic Xbox360 support
- FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support
- Windows Only: DVR-MS remuxer and AviSynth alternative transcoder support
Good to know about PS3 Media Server
Things that is worth mentioning is that it is strongly recommended to connect both the computer and the Playstation to the router/switch/Home network through Ethernet cable. By using one or both devices over WiFi you will experience some delay in loading the media. Your media will sometimes stop during a play to buffer/load in more data from the computer. It usually work over WiFi but when you try to watch big files above 1Gb in file size (like high-def avi/mkv/m2ts or DVD images), you will most likely experience some reloading during the movie.
Another thing worth mentioning is the issues with the computer. It is recommended that the computer containing the application is a computer with good specifications. If you have a slow laptop, it is not recommended that the PS3 Media server application is installed on this. When Nordic-Vikings.net tested this we found out that we got the best connection from a desktop computer or a network server.
Another great thing about the PS3 Media Server is that it’s available for Windows, Linux and OS.X
In overall, this is a highly recommended software!!
©2011 Nordic Vikings